(New Castle, PA) – Disability Options Network will host a free workshop for parents in support of students transitioning from high school to employment on Wednesday, June 28, at Career Link from 9 a.m. to 12 noon.
This workshop will cover independent living and self- advocacy and how to get there, using a student’s IEP to get to employment, an overview of the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) programs for transition age youth (14 to 21), and a brief look at disability laws.
Parents will be able to ask questions throughout the session which will be led by and independent living coordinator, an education advocate and a representative from OVR. Career Link is located at 102 Margaret Drive in New Castle, Pa 16101.
For more information or to register to attend call 724-652-5144 ext. 157 so that take home materials can be prepared for each attendee. Registration is suggested by June 26.
Disability Options Network is the federally-funded center for independent living that serves Beaver, Butler, Lawrence and Mercer counties and support people with disabilities to live as independently as they choose. Disability Options Network offers these services:
- Advocacy – helping people negotiate and speak for themselves
- Peer Support – connecting people with similar life experiences to each other
- Skills Training – providing guidance and support to learn new skills and refresh existing skills
- Information & Referral – advising/assisting individuals to access services and useful information
- Transition from Nursing Home to Community – supporting people to live as independently as they choose in the community
- Transition from School to Adult Life and Work – helping youth and families navigate the journey to adulthood and careers.